GMHSCP ¦ GMEC SCNs ¦ Free Greater Manchester World Delirium Awareness Day Event – One Year On
All booking fees included.
Ticket sales have finished for this event.
Please note that any bookings made from Thursday 7 March may not be able to accommodate any special dietary requirements you note due to venue lead time to accommodate such requestsIntroduction
- Delirium is a disturbance in thinking, attention and awareness brought about by a medical condition.
- It can be very distressing and for the older population, the mortality rate is similar to that of a heart attack or sepsis.
- Delirium can increase risk of dementia and those with dementia are more at risk of developing a delirium, which is why it has been selected as one of the key focus areas for Dementia United (the Greater Manchester strategy for dementia).
- Last year the Strategic Clinical Network/Dementia United hosted the first Greater Manchester (GM) World Delirium Awareness event at Salford Royal.
- This event was well attended by a broad range of professionals from across GM and was an opportunity to learn more about delirium from various perspectives e.g. hospital, care homes, primary care, commissioning, liaison psychiatry and importantly personal experience.
- It was clear from the day that there is still a lot of work to be done to help prevent delirium and to detect it when it does occur so it can be managed appropriately.
- Discussion throughout the day suggested that a GM Delirium pathway (considering the hospital and community setting) and associated guidance for implementation could help drive the necessary change.
- Over the last year Dementia United’s Delirium task and finish group has been hard at work to take the next steps in making improvements.
- This event will provide a recap and will focus on progress, hearing from task and finish group members as well as learning from good practice examples.
- If you are a member of the public or professional with an interest in delirium, please come along.
Interested in hosting an exhibition space? Please let us know.
Downloads130319 Event Programme
Questions about this event?
Name: Michelle Davies
Telephone: 011382 48399General FAQs